1. Khanty-Mansiysk is located on an “island” in the middle of the boundless bogs of Western Siberia at the confluence of Irtysh and Obi. To feel the size of the city – pay attention to the runway in the center of the frame, the length of which is 3 km.
2. Millions of years ago this place was no different from the usual landscape – hundreds of kilometers of swamps. The largest reserves of fresh water in the world.
3. The emergence of a unique island in the middle of the bogs is caused by “clay diaperism” – the loamy rocks, which have formed a high hill cap, are displaced from the depth of 500 m under pressure. As a result of the curvature of the Irtysh riverbed, the place of its confluence with the Ob river has shifted by tens of kilometers.
According to Feng Shui, the site inside this loop is a good place to build a city or fortress. But not only because of the use of the river as a natural barrier to the enemy. It is no coincidence that the river bypasses such a place with its channel – here the relief is higher, and the ground in such places is more homogeneous and has a higher density, which is valued in construction.
In addition, along the inner shore of the loop the current is faster, so dumped sewage is quickly replaced by clean water. since ancient times, the island overgrown with relict taiga attracted people with its “energy” – first it was the native Khanty and Mansi, and almost 500 years ago it began to inhabit the first Russian.
4. The next photo was taken by the Director of the Health Department of the Khanty-Mansiysk Region Administration, with whom we moved to Khanty-Mansiysk at the same time. So the migration of Russians continues;)
The southern historical part of the city in spring.
5. The central administrative part of the city began to be built up only in the last century, when the region had significant oil revenues. I’m telling you – this city is literally out of the ground! Now Khanty-Mansiysk is a leader in Russia in terms of natural population growth. The average age of citizens of 32 years old is the youngest city in Russia.
6. There are no dirty production facilities in Khanty-Mansiysk, and the main oil fields are located in other regions – in Surgut and Nizhnevartovsk. This is what a drilling rig looks like in the middle of the bogs.
7. And this is how one of the world’s largest oil fields, Samotlor, looks like from space, where 2 billion tons of oil out of 7 billion tons of reserves has been extracted in 50 years. For this purpose, 16,700 wells have been drilled. The name of the field comes from Lake Samotlor, which is translated from the Aboriginal language of Khanty as “dead water”.
Please note that artificial islands have become necessary for oil production in the marshes – this technology was first applied in the world in 1965 here.
8. In general, the construction of infrastructure in the marshes is a very expensive pleasure. In winter the ground is exposed and peat is excavated. Then the frozen bog is covered with sand and crushed stone – such a pillow serves as a protection against heat in summer, which provides artificial permafrost. In summer, asphalt is laid, which, if all the technology is followed, serves for more than 10 years, as permafrost provides immobility.